Together Tairāwhiti – where we all thrive!
I will lead a council that’s accountable to our community,
where we do the basics well to enable everyone to live
the lives they deserve.
We will get there through:
1 EXPERIENCED, STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP
- Put people first in all my decisions.
- Be your voice. I work for and alongside you.
- Have clear accountability from our staff.
- Bring new councillor group together and up to speed.
- Remain staunch national advocate for region.
- Get best possible deal for Tairawhiti in major government reforms.
- Be financially responsible and transparent.
- Keep rates affordability front of mind.
2 CLIMATE CHANGE, ENVIRONMENTAL ACTION
Focus and invest in Regional Climate Leadership
- Finalise and implement actions to achieve net-zero 2030. Accelerate Tairawhiti Climate Change Risk Assessment and allocate funding.
Future-proof region from flooding
- Fast-track flood protection infrastructure. Complete Waipaoa River works.
- Build resilience, readiness and responsiveness for future natural emergencies.
Work towards being a zero-waste region.
- Investigate and implement clever, sustainable ways to minimise waste and improve recycling.
Secure our supply of water.
- For drinking, agriculture and business.
3 SMART INFRASTRUCTURE
Future-proof our transport network to support our unique lifestyle, business and tourism.
- Include all transport options (roads, rail, air, sea, walking and cycling).
- Lobby Government and Waka Kotahi for better, appropriate investment into our roading network.
Work alongside industry, iwi, businesses and Government to address housing crisis.
- Support housing developments with appropriate infrastructure.
Major focus on modernising our District and Regional Plans to provide fit-for-purpose rulebook
- Have “common sense” rules to protect our people and environment, and to meet our needs today and in the future.
- Make it easy to do business with Council.